I’m not sure why no one talks about this Indie Skincare brand, Layers. But I have found the most amazing fungal acne-safe prebiotic + probiotic milky cleanser I’ve tried. Since I’ve had fungal acne, using milk or cream cleansers was a setback for my dry, flaky skin. Most of these cleansers had fungal acne-triggering ingredients like:
- Polyglyceryl-10 Oleate
- Glyceryl Oleate
- Sorbitan Olivate
- Glyceryl Stearate
- And oils that feed the yeast!
One day I decided to go on a quest for such fungal acne-safe milk cleansers. I first came across Evan Healy. I tried their Rose Cleansing Milk which wasn’t fungal acne safe. At that time, I believed that wash-off products should be fine to cheat my goal of no more prolonged use of unsafe products: skincare and makeup. But, I guess the burning in my eyes when I used it was a sign to stick to my goal. It got the job done, but it burned my eyes. I tried to focus less on my eyes, but the scent and the cleanser were too strong. I was desperate to look for something better. One day, I looked at my google search and came across Layers Balancing Milky Cleanser. This was when I discovered the fungal acne-safe milk cleanser I needed in my routine.
The Balancing Milky Cleanser has a prebiotic + probiotic blend of yogurt powder and lactobacillus ferment. Ph is balanced and claims it improves skin hydration and removes impurities while preserving good bacteria. The amount of product that you get is 120 mL / 4.1 FL. OZ, and it’s priced at $29. Layers is a clean beauty brand, cruelty-free, and their website has a breakdown of some of the ingredients in this cleanser. The ingredients include:
- Inulin is a prebiotic and natural humectant, a water-drawing magnet that pulls moisture from the environment into the skin and keeps it hydrated.
- Lactobacillus Ferment is probiotic and antimicrobial. It strengthens the skin’s natural defense against sensitivity, provides instant relief, and, over time, helps reduce redness. This is a great ingredient to include in your routine for all skin types but, most importantly, sensitive and dry skin types.
- Yogurt Powder is a prebiotic and is excellent for dry skin types. It adds moisture and can lock in water due to its texture. It helps brighten and tone the skin. It provides UV-ray protection, but I would avoid using it without an actual SPF. It increases skin elasticity and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. It fights acne and treats other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Lactic Acid brightens, smooths, and evens skin, making it look firmer. It helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots.
- Irish Moss is prebiotic and decreases inflammation in the skin. It hydrates skin, prevents breakouts, and improves the appearance of the skin.
The cleanser is a non-foaming cleanser with a silky watery, milky texture. I removed the rest of my makeup after going in with my magic eraser and purito oil cleanser. I could tell my skin was getting cleaned, but it also didn’t feel like the product was stripping away the skin’s natural oils. It is easy to rinse off; I had no residue left on the skin. Also, saw that my skin appeared glowy and bright. I use this in the morning and nighttime. It’s been a game-changer for me. I have purchased this cleanser for the 3rd time because I believe my skin has benefited from this product. It has a pleasant smell, and it does not sting the eyes. It is very gentle and weird because it still gets the job done. Sometimes, when I use gentle cleansers, they’re almost too delicate that they become ineffective.
I use this cleanser more than the other cleansers that I have. I usually wash my face with this cleanser, but I ran low. I wanted to save it; that’s how much I love it, and I brought Aquanil Lotion Gentle Soapless Lipid Free Cleanser. This is also a fungal acne-safe milk cleanser, and let’s say Layers has some competition. However, this is why repurchasing Layers Milk Cleanser for the 3rd time is a big deal. It does suck to have fungal acne because you are limited to the products you can use, including milk cleansers, and I’m happy that this purchase and leap of faith worked!
Layers is a brand that uses prebiotic and probiotic ingredients in its products. They believe that healthy skin starts inside and outside because our skin is also an organ. Supplements can be purchased on their website, and other products to fit your skincare routine. Please be mindful that only the cleanser is fungal acne safe, and be sure to patch test. Stay tuned for more blog reviews on makeup and skincare!